We always have appointments available in our clinic for urgent matters. If you feel that something is not quite right, please contact your local doctor and us to discuss the matter. If this happens during a weekend then you need to contact the hospital emergency department and the staff will contact us so we can attend to the matter accordingly. Remember, if things are not going according to plan, you must not leave the matter until your next regular visit.
The following are some warning signs that should prompt you to seek medical attention urgently:
- If you notice fluid discharge is leaking outside the dressing.
- If the area surrounding the surgical site becomes inflamed (as in red and hot). Bruising is expected after surgery, which is usually purple in colour, then change to green then yellow before it disappears.
- If you feel feverish or if you get rigors and shivers.
- Calf pain, chest pain, and shortness of breath are signs of a possible blood clot. Notify your doctor immediately if you notice any of these symptoms.
- Dull chest pain or chest pain with breathing.
- If the pain in your limb becomes gradually more severe than when you were in the hospital. Occasionally you may do a sudden movement or accidently hit the limb with an object, which may lead to sudden increase in pain, however this should resolve on its own after a short while of rest. Sudden sharp pain attacks especially while asleep are expected to happen.